Camp Improv Utopia is a three-night cabin-style camping experience for improvisers 21 and over. The camp takes place over 3 nights and is filled with workshops, camping events, team building, campfires, stories, performances and more since 2011. Our camps have you take four skilled based workshops from top instructors while our Yosemite camp has you take one instructor the entire weekend and you learn an improv form they are a master of. *Our Ireland Retreat does not take place at a camp. Rather an indoor facility with bunk beds, bathrooms and workshop areas.
The staff is committed to helping any camper with a food allergy or dietary need have a great time at camp. Whether you’re a meat eater, vegetarian, or vegan we got you covered. Although we do recommend vegans bring their favorite snacks. The facilities we rent are dedicated to working around many allergies and dietary needs. When registering just make sure to list your food allergies or dietary requirements and we’ll do our best to work with you.
We will have co-ed cabins and single-sex cabins, please let us know if you want to be in a single-sex cabin if you don't let us know we will assume you don't mind either way. Again, if you have any special requests, early to bed, bottom bunk etc. Let us know upon registration or e-mail us.
We do not allow any outside attendees. If you register for IU you must stay on premises. Improv Utopia is an experience and it is our mission to provide everyone who attends the chance to have community, camaraderie in nature.
We do not allow outside lodging. The Improv Utopia experience is unique and we do not allow any off camp sleeping arrangements. If you find that you do not want to sleep at camp, this may not be the experience for you. But we hope it is, because it's totes fun!
Activities and shows for campers will start on Friday night. you can arrive at camp at 4 p.m. with dinner usually starting around 6p then events/shows all evening. Saturday and Sunday are workshops (Yosemite workshops start on Friday evening) and Monday there are not activities just breakfast and saying your goodbyes. Campers must vacate before 11 a.m. There are AM and PM sessions during Saturday and Sunday, with a huge break in the middle of the day for camp activities, elective workshops (Only if offered/and which camp you're attending) and more! Evenings we do jams, shows, activities, parties and more!
We select teachers from all over the world. You can submit your workshops and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look for master teachers who have at least 7 years experience performing and teaching. Teachers we've had in the past are Susan Messing, Craig Cackowski, Joe Bill, Jill Bernard and many more.
We select the counselors for each camp there is not application process. Our East, Ireland and West camps all require counselors. Our Yosemite camps does not.
HOW DOES OUR WAITLIST WORK?
You will receive an notification from the Camp Network titled "Improv Utopia: Wait List Update", in that notification is the link to update and claim your spot by registering. If you are on the wait list for multiple camps, once you click to register it will tell you at the top of the form which camp or Yosemite focus you are being offered a spot for. Your spot won't be secured until you finish the registration process.
Your chances are great! Especially if you are a new camper. You can help us by letting us know in the comments when you sign up if this is your first time, whether you reside outside of the United States and if you want to be considered for last minute cancellations. Most often we will go through our entire wait list, especially when looking for last minute campers. If you don't make it in this year, you will be notified when future camps open, giving you the upper edge and in some cases, early registration opportunities.
Yes it is. Sign up and you will only be charged if you get an invitation and you accept. You can pass up your spot as well and you will not be charged. For Yosemite, you can sign up for multiple waitlists if you want.
WHEN IS CAMP IMPROV UTOPIA?
Camp West is alway held on Memorial Day Weekend in May. Activities start Friday evening with most of the programming on Saturday and Sunday. You can arrive at camp starting at 4 p.m. on Friday. There is no programming on Monday except saying our goodbyes after breakfast. Check out is before 11 a.m. on Monday.
Our East Camp is always held on Labor Day Weekend in Stroudsburg, PA. Activities start Friday evening with most of the programming on Saturday and Sunday. You can start arriving at our East Camp by 4 p.m on Friday. There is no programming on Monday except saying our goodbyes after breakfast. Check out is before 11 a.m. on Monday.
Usually the last weekend of September. Activities start Friday evening with most of the programming on Saturday and Sunday. You can arrive at camp starting at 4 p.m. on Friday. There is no programming on Monday except saying our goodbyes after breakfast. Check out is before 11 a.m. on Monday.
IU Ireland is in Newgrange Ireland (North of Dublin about 50 minutes.) Activities start Friday evening with most of the programming on Saturday and Sunday. You can arrive at camp starting at 4 p.m. on Friday. There is no programming on Monday except saying our goodbyes after breakfast. Check out is before 11 a.m. on Monday.
WHERE ARE OUR IMPROV CAMPS?
Camp Improv Utopia West is located at Camp Ocean Pines in Cambria, CA which is 3.5 hours north of the Los Angeles and 3.5 hours south of the San Francisco. It is about 45 minutes north of San Luis Obisbo on the beautiful California coast.
Camp Improv Utopia East is located at Trout Lake Retreats in Stroudburg, Pennsylvania approximately 90 miles from New York City, 120 miles from Philadelphia, 235 miles north of Baltimore and 270 miles north of Washington D.C.
Camp Improv Utopia Yosemite is located at Calvin Crest approximately 3.5 hours from San Francisco and 4 hours from Los Angeles. It is located in the town of Oakhurst, CA. We are approximately 15 minutes from Yosemite and about an hour away from Yosemite Valley.
It's located 50 minutes North of Dublin in Newgrange, Co. Meath, Ireland at the Newgrange Lodge
DO YOU HAVE PAYMENT PLANS?
Improv Utopia does have 2 Pay Plans for all our camps. You put $250 down and the rest will be due in 30 days. Check our individual camp pages for more pricing information.
OUT OF TOWN GUESTS
SFO, LAX, Burbank are your best bets for airports. However, there are the San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara airports as well they may just be more expensive. Getting a ride from the airport has never been an issue for a camper. Ridesharing is encouraged and you can set that up in our Facebook Private Member Page or contact us for help when it gets closer to camp. Check in to camp is at 4pm on Friday and Checkout is 11am on Monday.
Newark, Philly and JFK are your best bets for airports. Also, ridesharing is encouraged and you can set that up in our Facebook Private Member Page or contact us for help when it gets closer to camp. Check in to camp is at 3pm on Friday and Checkout is 11am on Monday.
Sacramento, Fresno (Closest), LA, SF or Oakland are your best bets for airports. Also, ridesharing is encouraged and you can set that up in our Facebook Private Member Page or contact us for help when it gets closer to camp. Check in to camp is at 4pm on Friday and Checkout is 11am on Monday.
Flying to Dublin would be your best bet as it is closest to the venue. Only 50 minutes North of Dublin. Rental cars are available at the airport as well. Click HERE. to see all your transportation options
CIU Yosemite gives you one teacher the entire weekend as opposed to 4 different workshops. Also, instead of skill based teaching as in our East and West camps you will learn an improv form that the teacher is a master of. This year it’s the Vertical Harold, JTS Brown, Genre Form, Musical ALLForm and The Deconstruction. ***NOTE: CAMP YOSEMITE IS 21 and OVER ONLY. Our EAST, Ireland and WEST CAMPS ARE 18 and OVER.
WHAT DO I BRING TO CAMP?
- jacket (It gets chilly at night)
- sunscreen!!! (Really important)
- long sleeve shirts
- Bathing Suit (East)
- Ear Plugs or White Noise (There will be snoring)
- hiking shoes and tennis shoes
- bug spray (Don't wanna get bit)
- sweater or fleece
- waterproof rain suit (You can use a garbage bag as a poncho)
- sun hat or baseball cap
- old flat sheet for mattress cover (Optional)
- sleeping bag (Highly recommended over blankets!)
- pillow (and pillow case)
- flashlight (Could be your phone)
- pen and notepad (to write down your ideas!)
- large towels (for showers)
- toiletries kit (toothbrush, toothpaste, lip balm, soap, shampoo, conditioner, Kleenex, comb)
- a scary story!
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 5 pairs of warm socks, 5 pairs of underwear
- 1 Yes-And attitude
- 1 open mind
- Camera or Phone Camera
- CPAP Machine if you use one
- Extra Bed padding (This isn't a hotel bed it's a bunk.)
- Phone/iPad and chargers
- Surge Protector
- Musical instruments!
- Spending money (we will have commemorative camp t-shirts, hoodies for sale and some snacks and beverages)
- reading material for your chill time
- anything that, if lost or damaged, would break your heart
- A valid Passport if not a citizen of Ireland. Make sure you have at least six months before it expires on it.
These are some camp hacks that campers have suggested over the years that may help you in addition to what we have said to bring:
- Bring your own mug
- Extension cord or multiplug outlet.
- Beach Towel
- A fan
- Ear Plugs or white noise
- Water bottle or get one at camp!
- Hand Towel
- USB Portable battery for phone when not plugged into outlet
- Small backpack
- Quilted TP
CAMP FEES and CANCELLATION POLICY
All our camp fees are listed on the individual camps pages that you can click on the website. Please check there to find out our prices. Payment plans are available! For any charge, there is a one time non-refundable 2.3% + $0.30 fee added to each transaction.
Your camp fee includes 8 meals starting from Friday evening and ending Monday morning. There is a dining hall where everyone can eat and the camp/facility will provide the food and do the cooking. You will also have a bunk bed in a contemporary cabin with 9 other campers. Each cabin is clean and equipped with a private bathrooms, shower (with hot water) and electricity. Cabins are Co-ed unless you specifically ask for a single-sex cabin. Your fee also includes all camp activities and up to 10 hours of improv workshops.
- Cancellations (ALL CAMPS): If you (the camper) request a cancellation of your Camp Improv Utopia fees more than 90 (ninety) days in advance, IN WRITING, a full refund will be issued within ten (10) business days. Cancellations within sixty (60) days of camp will be charged 50% of your total fee. Cancellations within 30 days of your camp will be charged 100% of your total fee and no refunds will be issued. Absolutely all cancellation/refund requests must be in writing via e-mail to Jacque@improvutopia.com.
- Room upgrades will only be refunded if the room upgrade can be replaced. There are absolutely no upgrade refunds 30 days out from the camps first day.
- All cancellations will be subject to a $50 administration fee. There will be a $100 administration fee if you cancel 60 days out from the first day of camp. Any Camp Network Fees will not be refunded.
- CAMP IMPROV UTOPIA WILL TAKE PLACE RAIN OR SHINE. NO REFUNDS DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER WILL BE ISSUED.
- Camp Improv Utopia reserves the right to cancel this event should the minimum required number of attendees not be met. In the case of camp cancellation, campers shall be notified and refunds issued no later than 90 days prior to the scheduled event.
- Absolutely all cancellation/refund requests must be in writing via e-mail to Jacque@improvutopia.com.
IU is a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit company and our profits go back into the improv community via theater support, festival support and improv scholarships. We have supported many theaters over our many years of existence giving thousands of dollars back to the community.